The human brain is the most complex organ in the human body and probably the most complex creation present on this universe. It is evident that, the world’s greatest man made wonders are a result of the human brain making it the most amazing feature in a human being.
The human brain with its complexity acts like a storage device which holds safely a person’s most cherished memories. A person’s personality is by far influenced by the brain as well as generation of human consciousness which gives a person passion, motion and emotion.
A command center for the central nervous system, the brain serves human beings with ample physical and cognitive abilities. This are just a few vital roles that the human brain performs but the most amazing thing about the human brain are the many facts that are less known by many people with a fully functional brain.
1. The human brain is the only organ in the human body that lacks nerves despite the fact that it acts as the central command for the central nervous system. This simply implies that, the human brain feels no pain.
2. The human brain consumes the largest portion of the total energy that is generated in the human body. To be precise, the brain consumes 20% of that energy despite the fact that it only represents only 2% of the total body weight. The energy is vital for maintaining healthy brain cells and fueling nerve impulses.
3. The number of neurons present in the brain is approximately 100 billion which is about 15 times of the total human population on earth. This high number of neurons increases the processing ability of the brain.
4. The human brain is regarded as the fattest organ in the human body. About 60% of the human brain is comprised of fat which is the highest concentration of fat that is present in a single organ in a healthy human being. Furthermore, 75% of the total brain mass is comprised of water which regulates various functions in the brain.
5. The neocortex is the portion of the human brain that is responsible for language and consciousness. It makes up approximately 76% of the human brain and making it the largest when compared to that in other animals.
6. It is believed by many that, human beings use less than 10% of their brain. This is a misconception because each and every part of the brain has a known function.
7. During early pregnancy, neurons have shown to multiply at a rate of 250,000 neurons per minute
8. About 15-20% (750ml) of the total cardiac output is directed to the brain every minute.
9. The energy consumed by the brain which is approximately 25 watts is sufficient enough to illuminate a light bulb.
10. The human brain is not as perfect as it is thought of since in many instances it has been found to fool human beings making them to perceive things differently from the reality.
There can be little doubt, the human brain is truly an incredible body organ that requires maximum care to keep vital body processes running.